Friday 4 February 2011

Food Friday: Porridge

Last week I made a post with the title of Food item of the day, which was malt loaf last week, I thought the title Food Friday would be better and so that is the title that will stick from now on

Today's choice for Food Friday is porridge oats, what a lovely way to start the day, especially in these cold winter months we have right now, of course porridge oats are not only there to warm you up they also provide numerous health benefits, below I will give you a rough outline of the benefits

Porridge is a wholegrain cereal that is easy to enjoy, you can mix many things with a bowl of porridge such as honey, sugar, sultanas, salt and many more sweet and savoury toppings, oats are rich in complex carbohydrates which release energy slowly, oats are also high in soluble fibre and have a low GI, which means eating porridge for breakfast will keep you satisfied and full up for longer

Do you want to lose weight? This is something I do not need to do, if anything I need to gain some weight very slightly but there is bound to be people out there that want to lose some weight, and porridge oats are totally natural, with no added sugar, salt, or additives, oats are also low in calories, and eating breakfast is important and can also help you lose weight by boosting the metabolism, so try to eat porridge regularly and be on a path that will lead you to a healthier heart

Porridge is rich in many things, including soluble fibre, which has been shown to lower blood cholesterol so eating oats can improve blood flow and bind to cholesterol in the stomach, aiding its removal from the body, eating oats regularly can also improve blood pressure control

Now some of the boring facts about porridge oats are out of the way I should also mention some more topping ideas, personally the only toppings I have tried so far is honey, yoghurt and sultanas, so some days I may have a good helping of honey with about a good sized tablespoon of natural yoghurt, other days I may have honey with a handful of sultanas, all options are very healthy options

I hope you have enjoyed this weeks Food Friday, I think my grammar may need some improving but that is about it, so thank you for reading and come back soon

No comments:

Post a Comment